West Virginia Residential Contractor
  • The first step in the licensing process is to pass all required exams. Once the exams are passed, then you submit an application to the State Licensing Board.
  • The Business and Law exam is required as well as the trade exam.
  • There are no State mandated minimum experience requirements for this license.
  • There are no State mandated financial requirements except for the Wage Bond.
  • The Licensing application fee is $90.00.
  • All types of contractors are required to carry Workers Compensation Insurance and Unemployment Insurance. Applicants who have NOT been actively and actually engaged in construction work in West Virginia for the past 5 consecutive years must obtain a Wage Bond covering all employee salaries for four weeks at full production.

    Exceptions to the Wage Bond requirement are contractors that are only performing Residential work and those who have been actively engaged in construction work in West Virginia for the past 5 consecutive years.

Scope of Work:

Residential Contractor means a person whose principal business is in connection with the construction; repair or improvement of real property used as, or intended to be used for, residential occupancy or work incidental to the construction or repair. A residential contractor is considered licensed for all crafts required in the construction, repair or improvement of a residential structure.


West Virginia Division of Labor

Contractor Licensing Board at (304) 558-7890.

West Virginia Division of Labor

Contractor Licensing Board

State Capital Complex, Bldg. 9, Rm. 749

Charleston, WV 25305br

To apply for an examination:



200 Association Drive, Suite 190

Charleston, WV 25311

866-720-7768 or 304-414-0190 Ext.4 (Locally)

Reciprocity: West Virginia has no reciprocity agreements for the Residential Contractor license.
West Virginia does not require Continuing Education for this license at this time.
  • Prov administers the exam and a score of 70% is required.
  • Business and Law is required.
  • It is an open book timed test with 60 questions and a 3-hour time limit.
  • The exam fee is $51.95 per exam.
  • To schedule an exam please contact PROV at 866-720-7768
  • Out of state testing is available for an additional fee  (call Prov for locations).
  • Exam topics include: Plan Reading, Site Work, Concrete, Masonry, Carpentry, Interior Finish, Exterior Finish and Safety.


    The references listed in the Right-Hand column are permitted into the exam and they are available to purchase by calling 800-992-1910 or from our online bookstore . References may be highlighted and tabbed (with permanent index tabs) prior to testing.

    Training: American Contractors does not currently offer a preparation seminar for the Residential Contractors exam. We have several license classifications under development as Home-Study courses. Please check with us for availability.

    Request information on this class

    Select your course
    by clicking below...

    *West Virginia Business and Law
    *West Virginia Residential Contractor
    *West Virginia General Building Contractor
    *West Virginia Multifamily Building Contractor
    *West Virginia Electrical Contractor
    *West Virginia Electrician Apprentice
    *West Virginia Electrician Journeyman
    *West Virginia Master Electrician
    *West Virginia HVAC Contractor
    *West Virginia Plumbing License
    *West Virginia Sprinkler and Fire Protection Contractor
    *West Virginia Concrete Contractor
    *West Virginia Excavation Contractor
    *West Virginia General Engineering Contractor
    *West Virginia Manufactured Home Installation
    *West Virginia Masonry Contractor
    *West Virginia Piping Contractor
    *West Virginia Steel Erection Contractor
    *West Virginia Utilities (Water and Sewer) Contractor
    *EPA Certification Course

    Choose another state

    Schedule Info:
    Instruction for this course, if available, is given on a private and/or home-study basis. Please contact us for more information.

    View complete schedule

    Who else do I need to contact?